Fun Facts about Steel
As you know, we are obsessed with steel around here. We live and breathe it daily- it is our lifeblood, after all! But, did you know just how important steel is to the rest of the world? Take these fun facts, for example:
- The Eiffel Tower is about 6 inches taller in the summer than in the winter due to the expansion of steel and iron with temperature fluctuation.
- The first major mass demand for steel came from railroad companies. Steel was first used in mass production to construct railroad tracks.
- The typical computer is about 25% of steel.
- New technology in steel makes it possible to build a high rise building with at least 3% less steel than 20 years ago.
- Nearly 70% of steel is recycled in North America each year. That’s more material by weight than paper, aluminum, plastic, and glass combined!